[Home ] [Archive]    
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 12, Issue 2 (3-2021) ::
Caspian J Intern Med 2021, 12(2): 148-154 Back to browse issues page
Comparison of two diagnostic protocols in management of possible cardiac chest pain: One following up study in Iran
Kamran Heidari * , Mahbube Asghari Arani , Mehdi Sheibani , John W Pickering , Arezoo Chouhdari
Skull Base Research Center, Loghman Hakim Medical Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran , kamranheydari2007@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (1206 Views)
Background: Chest pain indicating acute coronary syndrome (ACS) accounts for approximately 5-10% of presents in the emergency departments (EDs). Rapid decision making is very important because longer hospital stay is associated with higher financial burden. The aim of this study was to compare current practice with a 2-hour accelerated diagnostic protocol (ADP) to manage chest pain in patients suspected to have ACS.
Methods: This is a longitudinal follow-up study on 900 patients with negative troponin measured on entrance to the ED and initially low-risk for myocardial infarction according to the emergency department of chest pain assessment score (EDACS) at the Loghman Hakim Hospital, Tehran, Iran in 2018. Patients were divided in two groups (based on odd or even days at admission time) at a ratio of 2:1 (i) current protocol with a second troponin measuring after 6 hours and (ii) ADP with a second troponin measured after 2 hours. Major adverse cardiac events (MACE) associated factors assessed in two groups over 30-days.
Results: Totally, the rate of return to EDs with the major adverse cardiac events was 4% (n=24) in the current protocol group and 1% (n=1) in the ADP group within 30 days. The odds ratio for MACE in 30 days in the current protocol was 4.3 times more than ADP group (95% CI: 1.28-14.56, OR: 4.33, p:0.02). In multivariable logistic regression analysis, this estimation for the current protocol was 4.10 times more than comparison group (95% CI: 1.23-13.81, OR: 4.10, p:0.01).
Conclusion: A 2-hour ADP in patients at low-risk for myocardial infarction by EDACS had fewer adverse follow-up events than the current protocol.
Keywords: Current protocol, accelerated 2h diagnostic protocol, acute coronary syndrome
Full-Text [PDF 231 kb]   (480 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Article | Subject: Cardiology
Received: 2019/06/17 | Accepted: 2020/05/30 | Published: 2021/03/20
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:


XML     Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Heidari K, Asghari Arani M, Sheibani M, Pickering J W, Chouhdari A. Comparison of two diagnostic protocols in management of possible cardiac chest pain: One following up study in Iran. Caspian J Intern Med. 2021; 12 (2) :148-154
URL: http://caspjim.com/article-1-1951-en.html

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Volume 12, Issue 2 (3-2021) Back to browse issues page
Caspian Journal of Internal Medicine
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.04 seconds with 29 queries by YEKTAWEB 4343